If you’re lucky enough to have a lawn with a good topsoil base, much of the hard work of keeping a lawn beautiful is already done for you. But many of us do not have this luxury, and besides, even with a good topsoil base, you still have to work hard to keep a beautiful lawn and garden.
Here are 5 Steps to making your better lawn and garden :
- The best time to mow a lawn is when it is cool and dry. Wait for the morning due to dry off and before the afternoon heat takes hold. Alternatively, late afternoon or early evening following a watering in the morning is also a good time.
- A hedge is a much better boundary divider than a fence. It will provide better privacy and keep pets and children in – or out. It will attract birds to its shelter, and provide a great backdrop for plants and flowers.
- Add your garden to non-garden items, such as mailboxes and lampposts. Surround these items with flowers planted to take advantage of the earliest to the latest flowerings. You could have blue hyacinths, white snowdrops, gold and purple crocus, and various colored tulips. You could also surround the posts with rocks to provide added interest.
- Presents the garden beauty to you; plant hyacinths near walkways and doors. Their magnificent perfume will swamp the spring air and make your garden really come alive.
- Simple, still effective weed control can be achieved on your lawn by mowing often during spring. This will prevent dandelions spreading by eliminating the yellow blossoms and preventing seed formation. Mow high during late spring and early summer. This will allow grass blades to shade the ground and will help prevent crabgrass from sprouting.
Your lawn and garden should be a source of pride and beauty. You don’t need to spend lots of money on expensive fertilizers and herbicides, or fancy lawn furniture and ornaments. A little common sense and thought can go a long way to making your lawn and garden a much better place.